Saturday, June 16, 2007

WIP Update & Published!

Published!!! Just received my complimentary copy this week with my artwork in it! The layout is superb I think with my piece in the middle of the page - it really stands out as the other pieces are a bit darker in tone. The photographers at Somerset did a fantastic job as always displaying everyone's work. I did scan the page w/ my piece on it so I'd have a digi copy too, but because I don't have the other artist's permission to post their artwork here, you'll have to check out this issue yourself to see my piece :)

Also I just put the finishing touches on my canvas /vintage pins project as seen in my previous post from an article in Better Homes & Gardens mag. I added my own personal touches to the original instructions: a watercolor wash around the pins and a mock jewelry rack to display them. I'm still debating on how I want to hang this, I thought of mounting it into an empty white-washed frame as it's quite sturdy being canvas covered board, but I also love the idea of a soft cream or pink ribbon to hang it with - maybe I'll do both!

For mounting the pins themselves I pierced the canvas and slid the pins in then closed them up to secure (you could also use E-6000 glue to mount the pins if they weren't vintage/pricey for a more permanent hold) Behind the piece is a swatch of some wonderful fabric from a stash that I've had for some time but recently rediscovered!! :D

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Susan Tuttle said...

Hey Laura!!!!

Yahooooo! Your piece looks so gorgeous adorning the page in Somerset Studio!!!

Congratulations!!!

Susan
xox

6/17/2007 7:17 PM  
Blogger K said...

Congratulations, again, on bineg published, Laura!!

I really like this jewelry piece. I think it would look great with a flat, fabric covered frame. That's at first what I thought that fun fabric in the background was! You could choose something that would pick up on the colors in the jewels, and then hang it with ribbon, too! I like the soft pattern behind the brooches that ties them together, and the soft watercoloring definitely gives it a vintage feeling. Well done!

6/18/2007 5:21 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks so much!! It was quite surreal to see it in there gracing the pages of such an artistic and beautiful magazine, I'm honored :)

And Kathleen - thank you!! I'm so glad I can display those pins now instead of them being tucked away. The fabric was sitting nearby - I had to sit the piece on top of it for a minute and then thought how nice it framed it, very serendipitous! So yes I may do a fabric covered frame, but one with more jewel tones in it and then maybe pick a color out of that for the ribbon, hmmmm the ideas are simmering....lol. Thanks again for your wonderful feedback! :)

6/18/2007 11:42 AM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

Congratulations on your magazine coverage! That is so cool! I love these pins and what you have done , the ribbon does sound especially perfect for this!

6/20/2007 9:09 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hey Val, nice to see you and thank you!! And aren't the pins wonderful, they're little treasures I had tucked away. The crown was purchased at an estate sale and the swirly one was my grandmother's. It's so nice to have them out on display for everyone to see :D

6/21/2007 11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is absolutely lovely! what an excellent idea to display those old broaches. I have a similar one with a swan and those kinds of stones on them. sheer genius!

6/23/2007 1:30 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

why thank you ascender! your work is always so innovative, glad i was able to inspire you a bit with this project :)

6/25/2007 7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm definitely buying this issue!
Ms of Longears

6/26/2007 5:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Jeanette! So nice of you to take the time and visit :) Thanks for the support and well wishes too!

6/26/2007 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura-
I finally got your issue of Somerset (it wans't on the newstand the first time I asked for it) and your piece looks totally fabulous! I especially like the way you shadowed the figures by cutting out the foreground below the branch!
Can't remember what show it is where the host asks about your closest brush with celebrity, but you may now consider yourself my closest brush!
Jeanette

7/01/2007 11:17 AM  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

Congratulations! The magazine and your art work looks great. Doesn't it feel great to get that kind of recognition!

7/01/2007 9:05 PM  
Blogger mrana said...

Wow CONGRATULATIONS Laura, how exciting! I wish you could have posted the page though as I doubt if we get the magazine here in Australia :( I am happy for you!

And will apologise in advance as I've tagged you! Details on my blog :)

7/08/2007 10:30 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you Jeanette, Jana and Mariana!! Yes very exciting to be published in such a high ranking magazine! It's also very validating and encouraging too to get this kind of support and recognition for my work. I feel like I'm making a speech or something! lol

Thanks again everyone!!!

7/08/2007 1:35 PM  
Blogger studio lolo said...

Wow, you go girl!! I'll go to Beverlys and pick up my copy later today. I was wonderfing what you've been up to...and look at you!

7/11/2007 10:52 AM  
Blogger Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Hi Laura! I am sooooo happy for you and sooo proud that you are being featured in Somerset Studio - one of my favorite magazines!!!

Much love,
Becky

3/10/2009 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home