Monday, May 14, 2007

Art & Soul 2007 - 1st Class: PLASTER

TOTALLY PLASTERED
Yes that was the name of this class and what fun it was getting plastered (couldn't resist that one!) This was my first class at the retreat and Stephanie Lee made it a wonderful experience. She is an AMAZING teacher and shared her techniques and tips so openly!! She did a few demos then told us to just go for it. Working with plaster is a bit of trial & error and experimenting on your own as some key factors figure into this medium:

1. drying times vary because of moisture levels in your studio and where you live
2. how you mix the actual plaster as it's mostly by eye measuring
3. items you're casting, as larger pieces and 2-sided sculptures require more time

Although I started the concept of this piece in class (see 3rd pic down off to the right), the final work below ended up being quite different in that I didn't use any paper images in it. I wanted a totally sculpted & painterly fresco look to this and I think I achieved it. We started by adding a plaster surface to our substrate - plywood as it seems to resist warping best. The antique key and doorknob were from a closet door at home and they were cast separately then added on. The bricks and door were molded by hand with the design drawn/etched in right on the piece and finally I went in with layers of glazing paints to create the mood.

The pics below show Stephanie (being shy so I pointed her out, hehe!) and some of the artists w/ their pieces. Most artists finished their pieces there, some wanted to finish them back in their studios. I still can't believe how everyone's work was so different and all the many pieces that were created, such beautiful and varied work and so very inspiring!

Special note: i didn't get the artists' names for these so if anyone sees their piece pictured here, I'd be happy to put your name & a link, just let me know :)






























Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger valerie walsh said...

I really love yours Laura! It came out beautifully! Very exciting! Can't wait to see more and so glad you had a wonderful time! How inspiring!!!

5/14/2007 3:09 PM  
Blogger Susan Tuttle said...

This is fascinating--I so love what you did!!!! You will have to teach me sometime--how exciting!!!

Your A&S experiences sound stellar!

Susan
xo

5/14/2007 8:31 PM  
Blogger K said...

Wow, Laura, some really cool stuff! I love the key and doorknob in that one! Do these pictures show projects from other students, too, or have you been very prolific?!

5/14/2007 8:34 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Wow they look really interesting, i dont think i have seen this done before. thanks again for stopping by my blog and your kind words. cant wait to see you do more of these.

5/16/2007 3:11 AM  
Blogger K said...

I see you've changed your header--this is something you did at Art & Soul, I think? It's very nice--very French feeling (even before looking at the words)--it's the colors.
Talk to you later!
love, K

5/18/2007 12:29 PM  
Blogger mrana said...

Laura I love your piece! What a great time you must have had, and what great results!

5/18/2007 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home