Thursday, April 26, 2007

Artwords Topic #50 - "Woman" / Charm Swap

"JUST CHARMING" CHARM SWAP

I joined a swap a few weeks ago as a way of exchanging some art for my upcoming trip to Art and Soul in Virginia as I really didn't think I'd get to making anything to bring for trading. Both the charm swap and the mixed media art retreat are a first for me as are soooo many things this year and as with everything else I've taken on so far, I'm keeping an open mind =)

The idea of making 26 charms and then getting 25 different ones in exchange intrigued me enough to just go for it and jump in! The theme for this retreat is At Home with Art and Soul and I wanted my charms to connect with that somewhat. The spark was a recent find - a Cosmetology textbook from a 1950's beauty academy containing all the essentials for a"professional beautician". The connection to home clicked for me because a woman from that era was usually a stay-at-home mom who would take regular trips to the "beauty parlor" and maybe to save some money would get together with her girfriends and give each other home perms (I can only imagine how bad some of those 'do's must have turned out!).

I loved the pen & ink illustrations in this book and each charm has an original, unique image. I also used text from the book to compose a different message or thought for each such as "know and grow", "find sunshine", "try", "be you" and "follow your heart". Each of the charming ladies was also *dressed* in a vintage pattern swatch and a light vanilla scent.



Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger mrana said...

The charms are lovely Laura, the vintage look is a great idea, I'd love getting one of these. You must show us what you get in return.

4/27/2007 6:44 AM  
Blogger tiffini elektra x said...

Those are wonderful! They are beyond charming! Have a wonderful time at Art & Soul!

4/27/2007 7:53 AM  
Blogger K said...

Hi Laura, I just love these charms! This is now the third place I've commented on them, so you know that they are really cool!! That book must have been so fun! The drawings are perfect for these charms--you are so creative to have done this!

4/27/2007 9:43 PM  
Blogger K said...

I meant to say, too, how fun it was to see the process of creating the charms. Thanks for sharing it with us.

4/27/2007 9:44 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks Mariana, Tiffini and Kathleen! I loved making these, they were just soooo fun and I even made about a dozen alternate extras for swapping there. And I thoroughly enjoy sharing my process - will be sure to post my swap & retreat stuff too when I get back!! =)

4/27/2007 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home