Tuesday, March 27, 2007

WIP - Call for Art, *Bridges* theme

A local call for art and the urging of my drawing teacher prompted this work in progress. It's my quirky interpretation of a *bridge*, I came up with other ideas too but decided on this one. Hopefully I can meet the deadline, although I'm late starting it. I am going to finish this even if I miss out on entering it. I find lately I've been leaving a lot of work unfinished - does everyone do that as a beginner?? I've got lots of great ideas that I want to see come to life but my technical & application skills are lacking so I'm hoping with lots of work and patience (who said that?!) that I can get past this phase and just get some *good* art done! My teacher actually told me that it's standard to just draw for at least one year, sometimes 2 years depending on your schooling and/or field experience before getting into paints so......here we go =)

This is a life painting, no photographs used and also a totally new medium for me - acrylic paint. I'm using fluid acrylics as I don't like the way tube ones dry out so quickly plus I love the looseness of this paint and the extended drying time for blending. I'm not sure how to display this just yet ie. mount onto matboard, type of frame/ no frame etc. Any suggestions or tips are welcome!

acrylic on heavyweight Daler-Rowney canvas paper

Step 2 - Added details and shading to the bananas, started on the vintage sundae glasses. The distortions of the bananas inside the glasses were very cool and caught my eye enough initially to give this a go. Will continue on to finish the glasses and add the draping background....















Step 1 - After transferring my pencil sketch, I laid in the base colors and started on the bananas as I read somewhere that you should always do your perishables in a still life first - makes sense to me as the bananas ripened very quickly, overnight it seemed =)



Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger valerie walsh said...

What a wonderful bridge! It makes me want a bananna split! How cool that you stretched the boundaries on this idea Laura

3/27/2007 6:51 PM  
Blogger Susan Tuttle said...

Another wonderful, creative piece!!!! I love to look at the world through your eyes!

Beautiful new banner!!!

Susan
xo

3/28/2007 5:16 PM  
Blogger K said...

Hi Laura,
This is looking like a really awesome painting! You have captured the bananas so well, and the refracted image through the sundae glasses is just so well done! I can hardly wait to see the finished piece! You have a real talent, and I sure hope you get it done in time for the show. I think you should win something!
Bravo!

3/29/2007 3:28 PM  
Blogger K said...

So Laura, I'm just curious how this is coming! Will you post a new picture soon? Also, good to see you joining the Botanical Art group--this picture would be good for that, as well as any of flowers.

4/05/2007 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home