Saturday, March 17, 2007

Illustration Friday - Total















"Out of the Bowl" - 9x12, colored pencil on Strathmore light blue paper

At first I thought total was a tough one because all that came to my mind was math for some reason or maybe it's because I've been super busy with stationery orders these past few weeks and keep thinking how much I've been typing "the total on your order is...."

Anyway, here's my offering and I decided to post this as a work in progress as it's more interesting that way (well not really but I got a late start on it yesterday and most likely won't get to finish it this weekend!). Most of the main work is done but needs some refining and of course the base needs to be completed.

There's also some total trivia to go with this: What is the TOTAL number of gumballs in this piece? (hint: remember to add in the ones you can't see at the bottom of the bowl). Will post the finished piece early next week so come back and check it out, you can see how close you came on the gumballs too =)

P.S. - Happy St. Patrick's Day!

EDIT: March 21, 2007

Although I didn't finish this piece yet, here's the update on How Many GUMBALLS? One person came very, very close on it - it was none other than Tony LaRocca whose guess was better than bad at 22 as there are 23 TOTAL gumballs in this piece. Thanks for playing along everyone!

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger mrana said...

What a great idea! I love this piece as it is already (delicious looking gumballs ... and the colour on the bowl is so deep and vibrant) and can't wait for you to complete it.

3/17/2007 5:31 AM  
Blogger ° said...

wow this is nice like ur thought

3/17/2007 7:13 AM  
Blogger studio lolo said...

Um...19 gumballs, including the red one that escaped :) Nice drawing Laura!

3/17/2007 11:10 AM  
Blogger ArtfulArtsyAmy said...

I LOVE your concept. And, I think your style is truly beautiful. There is a real feeling of dividedness.

3/17/2007 2:06 PM  
Blogger Tanya Nichols said...

I would say 10...a total of 10 in the bowl...thanks for the comment!!! awesome sketches love the wire basket...

3/17/2007 11:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

simple and cute idea!!

3/18/2007 12:56 AM  
Blogger pati said...

I bet they are 20 (including the red one). Funny idea, Laura... you got us counting dreams ;)

Cheers!

cabanadigital.com

3/18/2007 5:09 AM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

I love this! It's super visually appealing and I'm a lover of gumballs!!! I am going to say 17.

3/18/2007 10:01 AM  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

love it. i guess 34. what do i win??

3/19/2007 5:30 AM  
Blogger steve said...

Very nice work here--you've got me wanting to chew some gumballs now! Anyhow, I was going to say 17, but Val beat me to it I see. Seventeen because of the date and it also seems to fit.

3/19/2007 5:29 PM  
Blogger K said...

Well, let's see, I would say 19 or 20!
I'm glad I checked your blog, Laura, I was beginning to get worried, not having seen you around Flickr for awhile. But I see you have been very busy, and that is probably a good thinig! Like this drawing alot!
Cheers,
Kathleen

3/20/2007 3:58 AM  
Blogger K said...

Oh, dear, I didn't read the other comments first. I see somebody beat me to the 19 or 20, so I'll change my answer to 20 in the bowl plus one on the table for twenty-one!

3/20/2007 4:00 AM  
Blogger BZ said...

I still think that total was a lousy topic, but I like your drawing. The blue of the bowl is excellent. I love how it shines. I am looking forward to seeing it finished

3/20/2007 11:26 AM  
Blogger Susan Tuttle said...

Laura,
Your drawing is beautiful! And yummy--I love candy!!!

Big Hugs,
Susan

3/21/2007 5:58 PM  
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

ummm... 22! (cute illo, btw!)

3/21/2007 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home