Friday, May 11, 2007

Art & Soul - Recap, Charms & Trades

Okay so this is my first official post since coming back from A&S. I will be covering the classes I took individually and posting the art that I made in each so stay tuned for that. I still don't feel like my feet have touched the ground and actually find myself still unpacking supplies and getting reorganized :)

Overall I would have to say that the retreat was a very positive experience for me - I met so many wonderfully talented & creative souls in one place - the atmosphere was quite magical and soooo inspiring!!! I only completed one (1) of my pieces there but I learned a lot of different techniques and processes, as well as which products to use for optimum results to finish them in my studio.

There was quite a mix of new and seasoned mixed media artists at this retreat which was great, but I came away from it feeling like the organizers should have in some way - either through a beginner's class or stating in class descriptions that a prerequisite was required for certain classes - addressed the issue of anyone new to this medium or mixed media retreats in general. From what I learned by talking with others, new and experienced, they expressed concern that it didn't get covered either. So.....Glenny or any of the others heading Art & Soul, if this info ever reaches you, please take note!! Actually I will most likely send in my feedback, suggestions etc. as I think this will help them make the whole retreat experience positive for everyone :)

CHARM SWAP
Someone mentioned that Old Navy had cool necklaces to put the charms on so I was thrilled (and also very lucky as this was the last one there!) and couldn't believe how well the bead colors and heart charms fit with the swap charms!




TRADES
Trading was HUGE there and I only had a handful of charms to trade but I got some really cool ones in exchange. I heard "Are you trading?" everywhere for the first couple of days at the retreat - in elevators, at the lounge, going to & at classes etc. etc.
Some of the trades below were from the following artists: Amber Coffey of Amber Art Studio (my charm swap hostess) ATC, bottom left; Mary Ford charm swap participant - ATC upper left; Sally Canzineri - "whatever" mini-book; Jill Beninato (shared a table w/her at one of my classes, she's also a very talented photographer too) - "Love Bird" ATC; Jill Die - pincushion bracelet; Brenda Bliss Delaney also in the charm swap - paper & fiber earrings. Thanks ladies!!!











Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

Wow, Laura, sounds like you had a fabulous time (despite maybe not being experienced enough for some of the workshops). I will look forward to hearing more--like about the workshops themselves and what you learned. And all the trading and relating going on, that must have been so fun!!
Wow, the charm necklace is great, a little heavy to wear, though, more like something to hang up and take down to look at and marvel over. It is marvelous!
Hope you can get settled back in to the home routine this weekend.
So what did your hubby think of it all?
Cheers!
K

5/11/2007 4:30 PM  
Blogger mrana said...

Sounds like you had a great time and what wonderful goodies you've brought back with you! Love that charm necklace it's gorgeous ... waiting to hear more ...

5/12/2007 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home