Saturday, May 26, 2007

Vintage Finds, Latest Project & News

EDIT 06/08/07: For Kathleen as promised! My Doulton dolls - and actually I do have another one not shown in this pic, she has the flower for March on her skirt (for my daughter) also signed and same size as the smaller one shown here at the left. I love the large one to the right as she also has the 'Lavender Rose' pattern but in a more fuller version. The doll behind those two is in the collection because of her name, 'Laura' :)














Okay so it''s been a few weeks since I posted here (where did the time get to?!) so I wanted to share some things before I get wrapped up in the holiday weekend!

First off: a few of my finds from a day of thrifting during my Art & Soul trip, shown with some treasured items and a small WIP. The WIP is the canvas with the 2 brooches sitting on top. I came across this really cool idea in BHG (not Romantic Homes as pictured but I just LOVE that magazine for it's great ideas too!) Anyhow, the teacup and swirl brooch were my grandmother's and the crown pin was an estate sale find from a few years back. And actually I had a serendipitous moment when I realized that the pin is in the form of a "C" for crown :) I still have to add the detailing around the brooches then attach them to the canvas. To display it, I'm thinking of adding a length of vintage ribbon for hanging.

Second: the crocheted and embroidered linens are just amazing in handiwork don't you think?! I've always been in awe of those who can crochet! (that would be my Mom, she amazes me how she just spins those things up - she made me a few of the blue & white crocheted cloths below, they have a wonderful waffle-weave texture and are made from a wonderfully thick, sumptuous cotton)














Third: I got an email yesterday with the subject line: Congratulations Somerset Artist! I have to tell you I thought it was some kind of spam (lol) cause I've never had any work accepted for publication in Somerset Studio Magazine before - and well actually I've never been brave enough to send any of my work in!!! I'm thrilled they accepted it as this was my first submission so I wasn't sure what to expect. It's going to be in the July/August issue and was submitted for the *Nature Preserved* call for art.

EDIT: I took a quick pic of it but it's not great as it was taken w/ my old dinosaur 2 megapixel camera but hehe got an 8 megapix now so I'll retake the pic and post it again as my artwork just came back from the magazine.

Have a great Memorial day-kick off to summer- weekend everyone!

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Susan Tuttle said...

Laura!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! Your piece for Somerset Studio is absolutely gorgeous--of course they wanted to publish it!!!!

Way to go girl!!!

Susan
xox

5/26/2007 6:15 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Congrats to you on submitting and having your piece chosen. it's lovely.

5/27/2007 9:48 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

Congratulations!! Wow, that's awesome. The piece is just wonderful. Can't wait to see it in the mag.
Cheers
Kari

5/27/2007 5:21 PM  
Blogger K said...

Yay! Laura! Congratulations on your submission to the maagzine being accepted! That is wonderful!
It is so pretty, I agree, no wonder they picked it for publication!
I think that's fascinating your heirloom project with the brooches, can't wait to see that finished.
Oh, and I absolutely ADORE your grandmother's teacup!! And the embroidered linens are lovely, too! Lucky you to have these heirlooms . . .

5/29/2007 10:39 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you Susan, Judy & Kari! It's a fairly small piece and not featured art material, but it's a start :)

5/29/2007 10:41 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Omigosh Kathleen, we just passed in the bloglines so I missed your comment! Thanks for the congrats too and yes I'll post that WIP when it's done. Also yes I treasure that teacup, it's a Royal Albert - all her granddaughters got to pick one from her collection when she passed on 10 years ago. I've been collecting china pieces for quite a few years now, my china pattern is from Royal Doulton, *Lavender Rose* and I find it hard to pass up an embroidered linen or vintage crochet piece :)

5/29/2007 11:01 AM  
Blogger K said...

I'll have to keep my eye out for that Lavender Rose pattern. I went on eBay to see if they had any, but I couldn't find Royal Doulton in a Lavender Rose patter. Could it be Royal Albert? They have a Lavender Rose pattern, very pretty: http://cgi.ebay.com/JUST-LOVELY-LAVENDER-ROSE-ROYAL-ALBERT-TEA-CUP-SAUCER_W0QQitemZ250122606181QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4227QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Hope you have a great weekend!
Love, K

6/01/2007 11:32 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Kathleen, finally getting over here!! Gosh I need to check in with this blog more! Yes and oops it is Albert (also yes Lavender Rose is a discont'd pattern) typed that too fast - Doulton is the maker of my dolls :)

And actually one doll is signed in gold by a Doulton descendant, great collectible. Hubby just reminded me that I need to update our insurance pics with the new camera, I'll take a few pics and post them :)

6/08/2007 12:46 PM  
Blogger K said...

Thanks for clearing that up, Laura, I'll keep my open for Royal Albert's Lavender Rose. I'm planning on going to a couple of thrift shops this weekend as I am thinking about joining the Vintage Tea Room teacup swap on Flickr, but only if I can find a nice tea cup inexpensively . . . If I find a Lavender Rose cup, though, I'll keep it (unless you'd like another one!).

Oooohhhh! Thanks for posting your Royal Doulton figurines, they are SO pretty, and I love that they come in the Lavender Rose pattern, too!

6/08/2007 9:53 PM  
Blogger K said...

Hi Laura,
I went to two yard sales and two flea markets over the weekend, and four thrift shopsthe weekend before, but didn't find any Lavender Rose pieces, or anything else I liked that was reasonably priced, anyway! I'll keep looking. I guess I'm not going to be able to make the Vintage Tea Room swap, oh well . . .

6/18/2007 5:25 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oohh that sounds like it was so fun Kathleen. I LOVE going thrifting and also to those markets - you never know what treasure you'll find!! I have quite a few place settings of Lavender Rose but only a few serving/accessory pieces so I'm always on the lookout too, mint & rare pieces can be a bit pricey. That Vintage Tea Room Swap you mentioned sounds interesting!

6/18/2007 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home